- Provide Real School Choice by increasing support to struggling neighborhood public schools, greater oversight of public charter schools, and priority for at-risk children in the My School DC Lottery.
- Create a uniform public budget that allows us to compare each school’s total budget (including public funding and private donations) and engage families in decision-making regarding future budget decisions. It is particularly important that we get this information at the building-level for all traditional, selective, and public charter schools in order to understand how to make our system more equitable.
- Conduct a needs assessment to determine the real cost of supporting and educating all of our children. Use that information to alter the weights in our per pupil funding formula to match funding to the particular needs of each school (regardless of enrollment).
- Provide more extensive school-based mental health supports, community centers, and recreation opportunities in every part of the District, as well as targeted violence prevention programs to assure all children a safe passage to school.
- Develop a viable plan to fund the Birth to Three program to ensure healthier birth outcomes and support the growth, development, and well-being of our youngest residents.