We need to shift our focus toward investing in the people, small business entrepreneurs,
● Promote community wealth-building by creating a web of collaborative institutions, including worker cooperatives, and community land trusts.
● Provide more opportunities to District residents to invest in our community, through community benefit agreements and programs for employees wishing to purchase the businesses in which they work.
● Save our long-standing small and legacy businesses by supporting employee ownership, providing tax abatement, or reducing leasing costs, particularly in gentrifying neighborhoods.
● Improve access to public transportation for District residents, by expanding bus access in areas with limited metro access and creating bus priority corridors with bus lanes and signal priority.
● Support employers in providing paid leave to attend school events, and engage in community service or community engagement.